Monday, July 19, 2010

PREP... The Scone Adventure

Hey everybody!

Back again for another short blog. I thought I'd update y'all about the scones. (Before I go on, I'm not sure how cool everyone is with me using their real name, so I used the interns' soundoff numbers and the PREP nicknames. For those of you in ICC, see if you can figure out who these people are. I might tell you who they are... if you give me chocolate)

I mentioned in my last post that we can only bake from 8 pm to 8 am. Last night, that got hairy. We baked potatoes for lunch this afternoon, and I also planned on baking about 40 scones. No sweat, right?

Wrong.

So, I knew that the Moon's oven has some spunk, but yesterday, it decided it didn't like me and suffice it to say that it didn't bake those potatoes till it was good and ready (which was, literally, three hours after we were hoping it would be good and ready) It was all good though, because we got a curfew extension to finish baking.

I made the scones while the oven was having its temper tantrum, three batches of one dozen to 16 each. Here begins adventure #2 of The Scone Adventure.

I found the food processor without a problem. It's this really cute little round thing with a lid and a little button you push to make it go... and that was about all I could find out. I tried four or five different methods to get it to turn on... but I have no common sense so that didn't work. I asked another PREP girl... didn't work. I asked an ex-PREP guy who is now an intern (this would be #6, the one who sprayed me with the faucet... so you know how much courage that took) but that didn't work. It took me like forty five minutes just to figure out how to get the lid on the processor, and about four peoples' help! Come on, Catey! Finally, I ground up the oats and got started on the scones.

Here begins adventure #3 of The Scone Adventure. I decided to make some dairy free scones and just experiment around with them and hope they turned out (sorry, #8 and #10 for my cooking style! So far, the only thing that hasn't come out is the dairy-free pudding....) So, despite my MULTIPLE google fails (the girls are allergic to milk AND soy... so nothing really worked) I was able to find a butter substitute (coconut oil works - compensate with a little flour for the softness) and then set about making non-dairy buttermilk. Yah. Non-dairy buttermilk. I ended up using a mixture of water, honey, vinegar and vegetable oil. It worked though.

Here begins adventure #4 of The Scone Adventure. There were a ton of people randomly bumming around the kitchen, guys and girls, but after curfew, everyone went to bed. I went and washed my hair while my scones were baking, then came out in my pajamas. Mind you, everyone was supposed to be asleep. And that there is a very, very strict NO PAJAMAS rule in this house. I came out, and it was just one of the PREP girls and I icing my scones and then blam! The son of the organization's president (his mom is the one who initiating the NO PAJAMAS rule) shows up and starts randomly talking to us. No point. No purpose. Just talking to us. Despite the fact that it's the middle of the night and we're all in our pajamas. What do you do in that circumstance??? Weirdness.

A few more assorted adventures:
#3: How dare you even think of that??? Here in the Moons' house and everything!
Catey: I didn't think of that. You were -
#3: You perverted person!
#6: What was Catey doing?
#3: Thinking of boys wearing short shorts!
Catey: No I wasn't!
#6: Catey, how could you?
Catey: I wasn't. #3's making this up -
#6: Catey, we're going to have to lock you in the closet for this. You've crossed a line.
Catey: #3 was talking about it. I didn't do anything. He's making this up. Why don't we lock him up?
#3: Because you're a girl. You need to obey us, for you are a PREP girl slave. #6, tie her up.
Catey: What??
#6: Yes, that's right. #3, it's your job to remember to let her out to cook us our food.
Catey:...?...!...?
------
At Sam's Club, with The Slacker and The Onion Mincer...
Random checkout lady (you know it's coming - another one of those creeper stories...): So... why all the food?
The Onion Mincer: It's for our growing family. (looks at Catey, for approval or punishment)
Random checkout lady: ...?...!...?
------
Catey: Please let me out of the closet....
------
Catey: Please?
------
Catey: Seriously! #3 and #6, this isn't funny any more!
------
Catey: (cries quietly)
#3: Woman! Get in the kitchen where you belong!
------
Well, that was nice. That was cool. That was fun. That was nice.

It's been one big adventure, and it's been, all of it, totally awesome. I love PREP!

I'll be back with more totally random stories tomorrow.

Love from Murfreesboro!
Catey (The Asian)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WHY OH WHY are boys always tying you up and putting you in a closet?! AND WHY OH WHY can't you ever get along with your checkout clerks? AND WHO is my son in law the Onion Mincer? And WHAT GROWING FAMILY? Does he know about your father's shotgun collection????

Hannah said...

Coconut oil... YESSSSSS! (I approve ;) ) oh, and, for the record, those scones and mugs of tea were rather epic. (I want to be in the kitchen with you!... Louisiana next spring, anyone? ;) )

I love all the hidden names in this post and how much my knowledge of who they signify completely changes the story... a little.

Ach, and I love you! I'm missing you very much already. Have a blessed time back at the Manor! (How are you feeling????....)

[That was fun. That was nice. That was fun. That was fun.]

Hannah said...

Oh, btw, I can remember several "come to Jesus" and prayer sessions with the oven last year...

and bracing myself against the door for amounts of time so breakfast would be edible...

it definitely wouldn't be a complete PREP week ... ahem....s.... without those moments. =)

Art said...

:giggles: