Saturday, July 17, 2010

PREP... Frugality Meets Allergy and Things Blow Up

I'm finding that having a quick post once a day or every few days will make sure that I write often enough to keep everybody posted back home, but it doesn't take that long. This might even work.

So, one of my main roles as a PREP girl is to organize, plan and work kitchen. I'm currently having a lot of jobs that involve organizing the kitchen (this means I write shopping lists and help decide on meals, mostly.)

To give you a little perspective on this, we're cooking for roughly 35 people six meals a day: breakfast, AM snack, lunch, PM snack, dinner, and dessert. We have salad at lunch and dinner, fruit at breakfast and every snack, and cookies whenever the team wants them (currently, we haven't made any though... this is sad). The oven has so much personality, including cooking things at a unique rate (depending on the food, it might be fast or slow) and turning on spontaneously. (Not quite spontaneously, actually. It's just really sensitive.) We can use the oven after 8 pm and before 8 am, but not between. We also have two people with lactose/soy allergies. Whew! It's a lot to keep in mind, but it's not all that hard to manage. It is so ridiculously fun. I'm learning so much about managing and budgeting and how to cook for different tastes and needs.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not. This has been such a blast, and such a joy! I would do this forever and ever.

However, right now I've hit an obstacle. Does anybody out there know how to make dairy-free scones? The scones are getting made in a few days and I'm trying to figure out how Tessa and Marisa are going to eat... [goes off to check Mrs. V's blog....]

What a blast! I love PREP! I love cooking! I love learning how to work out the managing and the allergies and the health and the gorgeousness of these awesome people!

Google rocks,
Catey

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like home to me! I don't know how you could learn much....you have been meal planning and list making since you were 11!!!!! Ask Zia for a dairy free scone recipe. The only ones I can find suggest using soy yogurt.

Sky Destrian said...

I really don't know all that much about baking (sad, I know) but what about using soy milk or yogurt like your mom suggested? That's my two cents. ;)

Glad you're having fun!

A&A said...

This, sounds like a wicked awesome job!

Choosing Joy said...

Goggle is awesome! Glad you have that resource. I don't know how we ever managed to get along without it!

Shirin said...

So glad to see you at the blog again! You can count "short blogs" onto your list of summer skills. Aren't journalist supposed to say as much as possible in as few words as possible?

I clearly don't know what I am talking about but I am grateful to hear the ins and outs of scones and allergies and ovens. Woo hoo! GO God! GO Catey!