Saturday, February 28, 2009

With Jesus in Their Eyes

(I am braindead with a million bazillion assignments and guests, but I figured I was long overdue on a blog update. Here's a poem I recently wrote. It's kind of narrative, but it was a break from my relentless usual style).

With Jesus in Their Eyes

I'm the girl
With eyes so deep and hollow
You could drown in them.
My dark floss cloud a
Remembering ember
Of another life, another
Love.

I'm the boy
With sunshine hidden behind
Pale, gold-tipped glass
My brow like a ship's
Course across storm-laden
Green, furrowed
Like waves. Behind it
The longing, starving words
Who do not know
'Enough'.

I'm the girl
In the forbidding
Denim jumper
With hair like yellow tears
Or pretty leaves on crying willow
With innocent questions
And laughing ferocity.

I'm the boy
Everyone loves with
My teasing grin and two-faced
Eyes that love to
Make them dance
But hold some void
Some abyss and darkness
Of an unusual kind.

I'm the girl
Whose arms cradle
Such sweet cries
That earn me the shunning
The hiss, hush
That mars my existence

I'm the boy
So young, so true
And dead
My hands bleeding
My feet full of darkness
My head shining forth light
Crushed like a
Wilted brown leaf
Before the deepness of the
Night
Criminal
Sinister

You are the one
I died for
The one I bled for
The one I swallowed Darkness
forevermore for
I was crushed for you.

He is the one
With the immense brilliance
He's the one
Who shines through their
Eyes.

I'm the girl
I'm the boy
Who needs your
Love, with
Jesus in my eyes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

EXCELLENT POEM! I really, really like that one. Not very Dr. Suess-ish....but I love it!

Sky Destrian said...

Ahhh... where'd your front page go?

What can I say? I have to change things up once in a while. I like this template at the moment, although it's a little monochromatic.

Oh my goodness. I've never had a key break before, but I have had computer problems at the most inopportune times. It really is frustrating, and I definitely do sympathize. Do you have another keyboard/computer you can use, or was it fixed? I noticed you used 'd' several times in the comment.

Reflectively,
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

Oh, and I absolutely love the poem. It is such a wonderful picture of God's love... quite touching. I love poems like that. You should write more of that sort!

Sophie said...

Lovely!