Friday, February 13, 2009

The Best End to the Worst Week

Okay, maybe the worst week is a little bit of an exaggeration, but it was a really bad week. I have been up sooo late (almost as late as the October-writing-contest-spree... but not quite) this week doing stupid stuff, like my million speech and writing assignments and Chemistry and listening to my stressed sister practice her speech over and over.

And then, someone has got mad at me every day for the past six days (no, I'm not counting. Why do you ask?).

My writing wasn't paying off anywhere. The up-til-two-ever-night-October-writing-contest-spree contests all came back negative. None of my recent queries have been accepted.

I was incredibly discouraged about everything. Was this really my thing? Was I really any good at this?

Obviously, no one thought so.

But all of that changed this morning!!!!!

So, using the approved venue of communication (a.k.a. the heater vent) I wake up to a familiar sound "CATEY!!!!!"

Thinking that my instance of someone being angry at me was coming a little early this morning, I ran upstairs. My mom is screaming into the phone and saying, "You are an honorable mention in the PHC writing contest!!!!!"

Story:

This was not part of the October-writing-contest-spree. This was part of the November "Why Can't I Have a Normal Life???" contest (yes, the one with exactly 1499 words and the creepy PakMail clerk... check it out here and here) I have thought for a while that this was also a negative response. Today was the contest deadline to hear back from the judges, and the contact was supposed to come through email by today. My inbox sits empty.

So, apparently, they broke their own rules. I was called yesterday evening (my sister didn't pick up the phone because she didn't recognize the number and didn't want to deal with a solicitor) but my mom didn't check the message til this morning!!!

So, the story is titled "Outside the Glass Box" and it's exactly 1499 words long. It will be posted on Patrick Henry College's website sometime today (I've been checking back often. Maybe a little too often). If you'd like to read it, I'll provide a link to the homepage of PHC's website (since they, ahem, have not posted anything yet) here: http://patrickhenrycollege.com/

Sparks of illumination,
C.

P.S. Coming up next.... Part V of the Purple Mold Series...

16 comments:

Shirin said...

Congratulations! Can hardly wait to read the story!

Aunty

Unknown said...

Okay, first and foremost....doing your homework and helping your sister are NOT stupid things. Secondly....bad weeks happen. Thirdly....Isn't God AMAZING to provide such encouragement! Don't ever doubt your writing ability. YOu are GREAT! I am so proud of you! From a little girl writing stories as soon as you could write to being published in a book, and getting honorable mention with a prestigious college! I can't wait to see what else happens!!!

Echoes in Ink said...

Okay, by stupid things, I did not mean helping my sisters and doing homework. I actually meant that I was doing time-consuming tasks.

My name is up on the site and the entries will be available to read Tuesday.

Sparks of illumination,
C.

Sophie said...

Okay, like your oh-so-wise-mother mentioned, you should NEVER doubt your writing talent! NEVER!! (ahem...) And did I also mention that you are an amazing writer! Perhaps the devil might want you to think that you don't have any talent so that you will stop using it for the glory of the Lord. Don't EVER listen to his lies!! .....Okay, I think I'm done scolding you now. :o)

Congradulations!!! I can't wait to read it! God is totallyfantasticallyabsoloutly amazing! His timing is always perfect, isn't it? (I'm sure this is not the last amazing thing that He has in store for you my dear friend!)

Luv you!

Sophie

Sky Destrian said...

YAYYYY!!! Catey, I'm so excited for you! (I was typing so feverishly that I almost typed 'extied')

Sky Destrian said...

Catey-

I want to do the same, and that is the one thing that I hope my writing will be- from the heart. I think that is the reason that LotR is the masterpiece that it is.

Question: Are there different kinds of Elvish?

Namárië!
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

Oh okay, that makes a ton of sense–I would love to learn it. How did you learn? And which one would you recommend for me to learn?

The Elvish astounds me too and I’m working on compiling a list of all the words I know… Is there an easier way? I’m sure they have to have a book like that, a glossary of some sort. Perhaps the language handbook you mentioned in one of the previous comments?

What does the way you signed off mean?

Namarie,
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

Mah-nehn nahl-yay? Man carel le?

(How are you? What are you doing?)

Oh man I just realized I mixed Quenya and Sindarin in the most horrible way. :)

That’s a good idea. lol :) I’ve been looking on http://www.arwen-undomiel.com for the past hour; that’s been helpful.

I think I’ll definitely read the Simarillion at some point in my life, it sounds fascinating.

Now what is your signature? lol :)

Namarie,
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

Lol... sorry, I just realized I put the pronunciation for the first Sindarin phrase... it should be: Manen nalyë?

I've got a lot to learn... :)

Sky Destrian said...

Mára aurë, Catey dear!

In honor of Valentine's Day - "Le melon".

No galu govad gen,
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

Tancave, actually I do know what the way you opened the last comment means. "A star shines on the hour of our meeting, friend."

Okay, well now I don't feel so bad!

You are not alone!!! I agree completely! It is amazing, amazing, amazing.

I actually found an Elvish name translator; it's pretty nifty. Your name in Sindarin (it doesn't have Catey, but Katherine, which is probably the root is the closest I could come) is... either Gwenneth or Rodwen, whichever caters to your liking. Just lmk and I'll give you the link; they also have a Quenya translator and a Rohirrim one.

It's helping me learn, so for the record, what was your last signature? Maybe to save you the trouble you should put the translation in the original comment. ;)

Calo anor na ven,
Aranel Wílalatoë (my name in Quenya)

Sky Destrian said...

Rim henaid, mellon. (Many thanks, friend)

That’s really neat.

Oh, yes… I have that phrase in my “dictionary”. Have you been able to understand what I’ve said so far?

I just got done with the movie (The Fellowship)… it is stunning. Now I can’t decide between Lothlorien and Rivendell, they are both beautiful. Rivendell — or should I say Imaldris — has more of a bright summery feel, and Lothlorien seems… well, I wish I could have seen more of it in the sunlight. It’s beautiful at night, but Rivendell is a bit more cheery.

Oh, and I don’t mind Legolas so much anymore. I so love Sam and Pippin!! Aniron gladhad! :)

Hebo estel,
Kylie

Colorado Girl said...

I'm so proud of you! I knew the right person just hadn't seen your brilliant talent yet! Congratulations!! And hoorah for you! God is so good! He always provides those little (or BIG) things we need to brighten an otherwise dim week.
love ya!
Mrs. b

Sky Destrian said...

I’m enjoying it a lot, too!

Yes, I really did enjoy the movie. It was just about perfect in my opinion! I was so excited!

Yes, I have to agree with you there about Rivendell… I really do like the elves and their ways. And it would be great to be in such an atmosphere of learning!

Although, something about the Shire makes me feel nostalgic. Perhaps it is the concept of being in relative quiet without having to care about the outer world for a time. Not to mention the hobbits seem so enjoyable…

Oh, that is really funny about Joss–I wouldn’t have guessed it at first thought but it does make sense; I could see her playing that role. I assume you must be a Merry figure by *trying* to keep her from getting into trouble? Or are you her accomplice? :)

Garo arad vaer (have a good day),
~Kylie

Judi said...

WOW! That is so awesome, Catey! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see it when it comes up on the site!
-Judi

Sky Destrian said...

I echo your sentiments — I loved it loved it loved it!!!!

I can definitely see that in you!

Yeah, that is a good point–it seems almost like a retreat type place. That’s where I would go when I needed to get away.

Of course, I know Joss is smarter than Pip!! I never would have suspected that she had that kind of personality. Hmm… I wouldn’t have thought of you as a Legolas character, but I guess it does make sense now.

Actually, I took a quiz recently and came up as Gandalf… which makes sense, and I think next in line I was Legolas (which makes sense, because we do have quite a bit in common). Of course, I’m not taking the quiz super-seriously, but I thought it was interesting. I don’t remember where Sam was on the list, but he’s my favorite character (well I guess one of them) and I think we’d be good friends in real life. :) I can definitely see you and Joss being Merry & Pippin–the dynamic duo! :lol:

No in elenath hilar nad had gin,
~Kylie

P.S. - Looking forward to reading your story tomorrow!!