Thursday, November 13, 2008

"But I Don't WANT a King Soopers Card!!!"


Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Catey. One day, Catey and her family were preparing to go to Co-op for the second day in a row. Catey was excited, but very tired from the Co-op the day before. That morning, Catey's mom had to put gas in the car, so she recruited Catey and her sister Jocelyn to go into King Soopers and buy shredded bagged lettuce and sour cream.


They had only one problem: They only had ten dollars and eighty cents between the three of them.


So Catey and Jocelyn walked into King Soopers, determined to buy as much sour cream and shredded bagged lettuce as their ten dollars and eighty cents would allow.


Catey is half Chinese. She inheried her incredibly frugal side from her father, who is even more frugal than she is (hard to believe, but true). So, five minutes later, Catey had found the cheapest, on-sale lettuce and a large carton of on-sale sour cream, all of which should cost her under ten dollars and eighty cents.


The man who checked her out at the checkout line is rather odd-looking. She didn't read his name, but he had long hair that is jet-black and nasty looking. He asked her, "Do you have any coupons?"


She said, "No."


He asked her, "Do you have a King Soopers card?"


She said, "No."


He said, "What? No King Soopers card? That's like the most important card ever! You need a King Soopers card." He began to fish around in the checkout stand for a new King Soopers card.


She started to not feel so happy. "No, you don't understand. My family has a King Soopers card already-"


"You should have one for yourself then." He threw a King Soopers card in front of her.


Catey was apalled. "But, I don't want a-"


He gritted his teeth. "Yes, you do. It's not a checking card and this way you get the sale prices. It's like a coupon, but it works all the time."


"But I'm a minor!"


He looked at her quizzically. "Well, that's fine. Eight-year-olds can use this card."

About now, Catey realized she was arguing with a grocery store clerk and that conflict completely terrified her, due to her very nature. "But I don't WANT a King Soopers card!"


By now, the clerk has realized that Catey is not an easy nut to crack. "Too bad." He scanned the card and slid it back to her. "Six fifty."


Dumbfounded, Catey counted out six dollars and fifty cents. "Thank you."


The End.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I traumatized you. :0

Echoes in Ink said...

It's not your fault... it's the scary long-haired grocery store clerk's fault!

Judi said...

An update??? What have we done that was so good as to deserve a brand new post???
-Judi

Echoes in Ink said...

Judi.... don't make fun of me!

Sky Destrian said...

LOL! How come all the fun things happen to you? I have never had an experience that's "blog-worthy" like that.

In His Love,
~Kylie

Sky Destrian said...

I know why Catey's been posting! It's because I've been nice and I haven't been giving her a gazillion writing assignments for Kids of Faith. ;)

Echoes in Ink said...

You people... I've posted twice in the past two days!

Catey
(Almost all my experiences are blog worthy.... it's pathetic how many strange and unusual events happen to little me.)

Colorado Girl said...

Wow! That's just another reason I shop at target for everything; you don't have to have a stupid card to get the sale price. What a whack-job! (the store clerk - not you) Hope you have a better day today. Mrs. B

Echoes in Ink said...

A note: My mom says that the long-haired grocery store clerk who checked me out is actually a really nice guy.... I've never seen that side of him... but I trust that he really is nice (and just happened to scare me to death!)

-Catey

original-knitter said...

Sorry about your experience. I hate mean cashiers.
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I don't where thos poems come from.
They come really easy to me.
Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Sky Destrian said...

Well, as we all know, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Yeah, are you doing NaNoWriMo? I haven't done it, but I've heard a lot about it. I thought about doing it, but I think I'll wait till next year.

In HIS Love,
~Kylie

Judi said...

*Gasp!* I wasn't making fun..just stating that you don't post..
-Judi

Echoes in Ink said...

Never-Again and FaithfulFollower- I'm not doing NaNoWriMo this year... I have a life and it's called high school. I don't think I can keep up with a 50,000 word novel and school and two babies running around my house (aka, my brothers) without someone dying (probably me) I don't think my writing would be up to par, at least this year. I'm considering it next year... but we'll see.

Judi- I DO SO POST! I just had a rough patch this month where posting came a little slower...

Judi said...

A little slower???? I nearly DIED waiting for a new post...you never would've let me get away with that...
-Judi

original-knitter said...

Catey, can you post on Debbie's blog? She simply refuses to update, and she hasn't since the first of the month.
And if could you get anyone you know to post on her blog?