Saturday, October 4, 2008

Why It's Okay to Listen to That Particular Source...

Hi! Here I am, back from competition and without enough brain to count to fifteen!

How I'm feeling: Absolutely exhausted.

What I did: Interpretation on Hamlet, Impromptu on the word incomprehensible. Two superb classes on acting/writing (it kind of covered both) by two of my favorite speakers among the interns.

How I felt while I competed Hamlet: Pretty good. I was shaking (but I always shake when I act, whether I'm in front of people or not) but confident. I didn't forget anything.

How I felt while I was doing Impromptu: Oh, God, oh, God, oh, God.... Please, please, please don't expect me to do amazingly on this.....

What I did in between Hamlet and Impromptu: I prayed. For about twenty minutes without pausing, I prayed for my heart - a focus and unparalleled passion, that I would accurately represent God as an approved workman who is not ashamed. I prayed for my fellow speakers, the young man who was competing Impromptu before me, my friend who was doing Extemp (Extemporaneous). I prayed for my friend who was taking the SAT at the time. Ultimately, I prayed that God's will would be done.

What was on my ballots: On my Interp: Two first place ballots. On my Impromptu: One third place ballot with a promise that I would get a higher score if I did a more complete conclusion (which I considered somewhat fortunate, considering I really didn't have a conclusion...)

The announcements: I took third place in Impromptu (second place and above are announced). I took a first place with my Interp (which I thought was kind of scary, since I had never performed an Interp in front of people and Interp is the most frequented event).

How I feel about it: Well, overall, like I really need an adrenaline burst. But, I thank you for praying. I was encouraged that I did as well as I did.

An Important Sidenote: My friend who I came to the conference with is an aboslutely brilliant young man. He is a genius if ever I have met one. He is a purely incredible speaker. In the three events he competed (Extemp, Impromptu Sales Pitch, and Original Oratory - he gave a speech that was essentially a revised version of the essay he wrote for my writing class! -) He took two first places and one second place. That put him as the winner of the tournament, overall. You can applaud now :)

As A Secondary Important Sidenote: Because I'm still a selfish little person, I kept praying, "God, PLEASE let me have just one ballot where I'm not fifth and below [the lowest possible score]. Just one." I think he was listening :)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job! Not surprised....I think your gift is communicating...not just writing. I love to watch God use you. When I open my mouth, He usually doesn't make me sound as eloquent!
***And I think you are going to be in trouble for calling that friend a genius....even though we all know he is! :)***

Echoes in Ink said...

Who will I get in trouble with?? -innocent look-

-Catey

Unknown said...

You know how you two already argue over geniusness! Don't play innocent with me!

Judi said...

That is so awesome, Catey.
I'm glad you had a good time. :)
I never would've made it out alive...I can't even order my own food when i go to Wendy's.
-Judi

Colorado Girl said...

My only regret is that I have yet to see your interp. I'm so happy for you!! You did sooo great, as I knew you would.
And your "genius " friend is not a genius, just experienced. I'm glad you had fun.

See ya soon, I hope!
Mrs. B

ShaneD said...

oh, oh, oh, I think I know who the "genius" who really isn't a genius is ;). LOL. Great job Catey and I think you might have a future in (do I dare say) CFC! See you later.

Shane

Echoes in Ink said...

Jilly- We don't argue over who is a genius - we just argue over who is more of a genius... but that is definitely not a good thing to bring up again!

Judi- CFC is awesome. If ever there's a conference in your area, you should check it out. And while I did really well in speaking, I still can't stand ordering my own food at restaurants. I feel your pain.

Colorado girl- Your son happens to be experienced and a genius. And I'd be happy to do my interp for you sometime (but don't expect to be impressed. It wasn't that great)

ShaneD- Dream on.

But keep dreaming. It might happen, as I found out today. (And I meant what I said about the genius thing)

-Catey

original-knitter said...

Awesome Catey! I'm so happy for you!

Shirin said...

Hooray for you for doing something you've never done before! Hooray for you for doing something hard! Hooray for you for remembering to pray (instead of throwing up which is what I would have been doing in your shoes)! Hooray for letting God use you! Hooray for living a life of adventure! Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Judi said...

Well...Catey, it's time for you to update...
-Judi

jonasbrothersfreak93 said...

hello!

I am a fellow Kids of Faith Contributing Author, and I thought that I'd stop by your blog, and say 'hi'.

Come by my blog at:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/01charger

Talk to you soon!
Ashley

Judi said...

It's time for you to update, Catey!!
-Judi

Judi said...

COME ON, CATEY!! UPDATE!!
-Judi

Judi said...

*SIGH!!!!!*
I'm going to start screaming if you don't update.....
-Judi

Echoes in Ink said...

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! My life is a series of disasters right now! I'm trying to get six writing assignments done by Thursday - and it's not fun!

-Catey

Judi said...

excuses...excuses...when november comes, drop by my blog..i'll have a surprise for you, ok???
-Judi