Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book Review: So B. It, by Sarah Weeks



What is truth?

Heidi, an extremely lucky girl who lives with her mentally damaged mother and agoraphobic neighbor, sets out to find out that very thing. Heidi's mother, who says her name is So B. It, knows only twenty-three words, mostly basic ones like "bad", "hot", or "done". But when an unknown word, "soof" enters her vocabulary, Heidi becomes obsessed with finding the meaning of the word, and the past of her mother and her. Filled with delightful quirks, like her pack-rat neighbor's P.F (perfectly fine) clothing - held together by staples - and her family's love of Jujyfruit candies, So B. It was a great read.

Told in the relentlessly black-and-white view of Heidi, this book was told like Heidi's life, with little bits and pieces of random instances thrown in. This lent variety, but also made the book a little confusing at times.

I would highly recommend reading this book. I can't do it justice through this meager review.

10 comments:

Judi said...

I'm trying to remember if I read that book or not...I think I read parts of it, then skipped to the back of the book to find out if it ended right. Yeah, that's what I do. :D (Gets on mom's nerves.)
-Judi

Echoes in Ink said...

My mom's the opposite way... I can NEVER read the end of the book before the rest. I feel like I'm cheating the author. My mom thrives on knowing the ending first.
-Catey

Judi said...

Yeah, I don't like watching movies near as much as reading books because I don't know the ending. I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to stuff like that. :)
-Judi

Unknown said...

Judi, my soul sister, don't cave. Saving the best for last only delays the best!
Blessings,
Catey's Mom

Deb said...

I read that book! I really enjoyed it. It was so out of the ordinary and unique. I've never read anything like it.

Although the ending was heartbreaking, it was also beautiful. Heidi was finally liberated and given the chance to live a better life.

I LOVED the neighbor. The characters were delightful. What most appealed to me was the unique quirky world Heidi lived in.

Debbie

Judi said...

Thanks, Miss. Jilly. I've always wanted a soul sister. ;)
-Judi

Edge said...

Hmm. I'll have to hunt this down at the library. And I confess, I'm one of those skip-to-the-end-first readers.

Echoes in Ink said...

GASP! How can you guys do that to that? The poor author suffered through months of torment to make everything lead up to that dramatic conclusion! Don't let that keep you from reading the book though- that would really be cheating the author.

Catey:-)

Judi said...

Heyyyyyy...
You need to update your blog, dude. Seriously.
Since I'm on here..I saw that you like Ted Dekker's books..and I wanted to know if you had read the book Thr3e?
-Judi

Echoes in Ink said...

I have not finished THR3E. It was very, very thrillery- almost a little too much for me. My favorite of Ted Dekker's books are the Circle Trilogy (and all the books of the Circle) and Blink. Oh, and the Paradise Books.

Has anyone else here read Ted Dekker? I think his works are amazing.

-Catey