Saturday, August 14, 2010

Maps

I drew a map today of seven countries that live only in my mind. It has a beautiful coastline, and it's just as I pictured it to be.

It reminds me of The Little Prince, which is a book I can not recommend highly enough.

Hmm... am I crazy to draw maps? My sister thinks I am. After the whole Mapping the World by Heart adventure of school three years ago, Joss is pretty turned off maps.

"Oceans are endearing.
Roads divide. They cut and separate." someone said to me once.

Let us swim for a while, dear one, and we'll drink the sky until the sun remembers us. Then the morning will gild the butterflies in their royal splendor, and heaven will smile. You and I will smile and the world will be all of snow.

Sigh.

God is good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

CS Lewis used to draw maps of the places he told stories of. You are in good company....though, after teaching that dreaded Mapping the World by Heart class, I cannot imagine why you would get any pleasure out of drawing any maps anymore!!!!!

Alice said...

i have a nephew who would have loved that mapping the world project. he does such detailed work - right up his alley - :)

K-Mac said...

i like you a lot.
you're awesome

[/literally my response to this post]

Shirin said...

Brilliant people have been known to draw maps. Remember that. The makers of CandyLand also drew a map, one loved by millions of children. ;)

Personally, I think roads are preferable to oceans... roads bring loved ones together. Islands are planted on oceans, islands where people are stranded and estranged from those they love.