Friday, January 8, 2010

Birthday Party

Tuesday was J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday. I can't believe I missed it, for now I am sad. Tolkien is one of my favorites.... argh. So, I'll now write a post in honor of Tolkien... but since he was such a brilliant author, I may quote a bit.

"All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not touched by the frost
From the ashes a fire will be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
And the crownless again shall be king."

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."

"It's a dangerous business - stepping out your front door. "

"Short cuts make long delays."

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”“It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.”“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”

Hehe... I love Tolkien. I promise I'll write a good post sometime before MASTERS... though I've no idea when...

2 comments:

Sky Destrian said...

Oh no. I missed it too??? I knew today was Elvis Presley's birthday today, yet I missed Tolkien's?

There has to be something wrong with this. :P

Tolkien is one of my favorite authors, and definitely ranks high on my list. I hope I can write a book half as good as his trilogy in the course of my lifetime. His poetry was beautiful too.

Seriously, he was an all-around genius. I'm sure you can agree.

~Samwise

Unknown said...

I missed it too!!!!! Uggh. I love his quotes....and his example!