Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hollow Men - for Rebecca

"We are the hollow men

We are the stuffed men...

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in the dry grass..."

-TS Eliot, We Are the Hollow Men



"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me!" Psalm 51:10



"So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in th epotter's hand and he reworked it into another vessle, as it seemed good to the potter to do..." -Jeremiah 18:3-4



"then let men kill, which cannot share

Let blood and flesh be mud mire

Scheming imagined, passion willed

Freedom a drug that's bought and sold



Giving to steal and cruel kind

A heart to fear, to doubt a mind

To differ a disease of same

Conform the pinnacle of am."

-E.E. Cummings, my father moved through dooms of love



"But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have you made me like this?'" - Romans 9:20

The Hollow Men
I was the darkness swallowed up the sun
I was the plague on Egypt's plain
I was the ice in God's hand
I was the stone that rolled from
I am the Hollow in the stone

You look at my face
My nose - aristocratic, called
My mouth - laughter, heard
My beauty - revealed
My eyes - what heart?

I felt above the pounding of
Rain or hammers or hailstone
Like bones, and I felt simplicity
Drain my ears
Hmmm.
Crack.

I heard above the sound
Of rushing waters
Of crickets in the early morning
Of bells from one thousand churches
Of the Angel of Death
Passing over

Thump. Ump. Thump. Umpthump.

I felt within and above and beyond
A sound that could only mean
One thing:
That thing that makes men's minds
Turn to oatmeal
And makes men's hearts
Turn from stone to sand

What sound? What song?
Only this:
I love you.

I am full.

2 comments:

Art said...

"That thing that makes men's minds
Turn to oatmeal"

Intense post, Catey! I love how you quoted other writers about being hollow and being clay, and then wrote about it yourself.

<3

Unknown said...

Niiiice